Total Pageviews

Here is a link to the "old" Flyer layout I tore down to make room for this one: American Flyer Trains Are Best

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Sibley Tribute - Conclusion

It's completed!  Trains are running pax and freight service.

I really was able to reduce my train cluttered down considerably.  All I have left is enough to run this layout and support it.


Monday, March 18, 2013

Party Like It's 1959!

I have one final vista to complete; the water scene at the outside edge of the Talking Station.  I'll start cutting out the pieces for it and getting it painted.  The water will have to wait until I get to York.  I could get it shipped, but shipping costs on that is a little steep.

Meanwhile, I have a lot of hook-up left to do.

AC vs DC:  Before I finish up on the rest of the hook-ups, there is a high-level thing I want to do.  Of necessity, I ran the last and very, very large layout on DC, with rectifiers in both the cabs and transformers.  It worked well for me on that large layout - with all the crapped-out track I had to use.  This layout is smaller and I tried to use only the best track I had on hand; discarding all the rest.  This layout should be much easier for me to maintain in the long run.  And now I want to go back to AC operation.  I have started taking out the rectifiers in the cabs and re-installing all the original open-frame motors and mechanical reverse units.  That is what I want this layout to be; a tribute to stock, vintage Flyer.  I'll need to re-do some of the wiring - simplifying it as I go.  Yes, it's back-tracking a little.  But it will be worth it.  A conventional AC wiring schematic will be much easier for me to maintain.  It's simpler and easier for me to de-bug when I have to.

OBTW, I'll keep those toggle switches I have installed above the transformers.  I am re-wiring them to act as on/off track switches for controlling the mechanical reverse units.  That will be easier, with less wear 'n tear on the transformer handles.

While some may wish to go the opposite direction on a display layout like this, I don't.  I have been there; done that with DCC several years ago.  I don't wish to use either it or TMCC or anything else modern on this vintage-style layout.  I want to party on it like it was 1959.

Friday, March 15, 2013

The M&M Loader

I've posted vids of my trains running.  This time I decided to take some pics of the basic scenery I laid in yesterday and today.

The M&M Loader is ready.  I still need to wire it up, though.  Keep your eye on that road.  It starts from off the layout and goes to the M&M Loader from under that little deck bridge.


 That same road then crosses massive tracks and goes to Guilford.


There it goes.


At Guilford, a 45 degree incline connects it to Gilbert Heliport.  Good luck with that! :) :) :)  I'll probably turn that road into an incline next year. 


See the start of the road continuing under that little Erector deck bridge in the pic below?  It will be used to "service" that industrial park I built earlier.  I think it's pretty cool that by making a couple little tweaks to the original Sibley, I was able to make a road bisect the entire layout and connect everything with the upper deck.  Kidneys. :) :) :) :)

Ruh-roh!  I see a copperhead waiting in ambush to catch a speedster going up the ramp!  Quick!  Flash your lights! :) :) :) :)

See the unloading deck where the Gilbertites will unload freshly-harvest M&M's for the Lord of the Layout. That would be me. :) :) :) :)



Thursday, March 14, 2013

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Mount Sibley - Conclusion

Mount Sibley is now completed.  Regular freight and pax service can now resume.


Next up will be to build the road ramp that will connect Gilberton Heliport with Guilford.

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Mount Sibley - Part III

This morning I stuffed rumpled-up paper into the remaining part of the top and gave it two coats of hard-shell.  After it set up, I removed the papers and threw them away.  Then I mixed up a thin oatmeal and top-coated it all for texture.  Now I have a fan on it to dry.  Tomorrow morning, I get to paint it.  The two flat sides will be painted black, because they are the edge of the known galactic universe. :) :) :) :)




It does look better, doesn't it!  It's heavy, though.  It will take two people to lift it up on to the layout.  But before I get that done, I have to do a little track prep.